Last winter Moorland Fuels saw an increase in the numbers of customers who had heating oil stolen from their tanks. In fact, according to a report in the BBC, theft of heating oil in Cornwall and Devon has doubled in a year.
We would like to urge our customers to protect themselves and their heating oil this winter by taking steps to reduce the likelihood of theft.
- Reduce the visibility of your tank from the road. Try fences, hedging and evergreen plants to make it less of a target.
- If you have a gate, always shut and padlock it at night.
- Place a padlock on your tank.
- Set up a security light near your tank, preferably one that is motion-activated.
- Monitor your heating oil level so you know quickly if there is an anomaly before you run out completely.
- Some customers have been installing inexpensive cameras to capture any license plates. While this won’t prevent theft, it might help the authorities catch whoever did it.
There is no guarantee that your heating oil won’t be stolen, but we hope these steps will make it more difficult for thieves to access your fuel.
About Moorland Fuels
Moorland Fuels was formed more than 15 years ago. The company started by supplying lubricants throughout the South West. Moorland Fuels is still a family-run business. Our reputation has been built by our team of dedicated drivers and staff. We all believe in what we do, and this can be seen in our commitment to excellent service, which gives us the edge over our competitors.
We are a fully independent fuel distributor sourcing quality products at the most competitive price to industry, farming and the home. We run all our own vehicles, both for fuels and lubricants, from our depot in Okehampton and keep an extensive stock to meet all our customers’ demands. This gives us the flexibility to provide a fast, efficient and professional service to our customers. If you need heating oil in Devon give us a call.
For more information or to place an order, call (01837) 55700 or visit www.moorlandfuels.co.uk.
Released November 23, 2011