Now is a good time to check your fuel tank for leaks before the really cold, winter months arrive. Next time there is a dry day pop out into your garden and assess its overall condition. Dry weather makes it easier to see any damp oil stains on the tank, or if there is any staining on the piers or supports of the tank.
There are many things to look for when you are inspecting your tank:
- Oil staining or 'mooning' of oil from the base of the oil tank up the sides or on the supports.
- Heavy rust blisters on steel tanks, these are usually found where the oil tank is resting on the supports, but can also be found under the tank.
- Leaky pipework or oil filters, taps and valves including site tubes.
- Leaves, plant growth and organic matter on top of the tank. These hold water and are breeding grounds for insects that like to crawl into the tank vent, then fall into the tank. Keep the tank top and sides clear and check the top of the tank for rust and holes, and also plastic degradation.
- Steel tanks mounted on steel frames have a tendency to rust along the edges of the steel frame, so check there.
- If you have a plastic oil tank, check for signs of cracks, these tend to appear at the top and at the widest point, usually on the sunniest side but check the whole tank and the outlet point.
- Pay attention to any pungent smells.
If you see any signs of tank failure, act immediately to prevent a much more costly oil spill. Call us on 01837 55700 and our engineers will provide you with a free tank health check.
About Moorland Fuels
Moorland Fuels was formed more than 15 years ago. The company started by supplying lubricants throughout the South West. Moorland Fuels is still a family-run business. Our reputation has been built by our team of dedicated drivers and staff. We all believe in what we do, and this can be seen in our commitment to excellent service, which gives us the edge over our competitors.
We are a fully independent distributor sourcing heating oil, gas oil and derv at the most competitive price to industry, farming and the home. We run all our own vehicles, both for fuels and lubricants, from our depot in Okehampton, Devon and keep an extensive stock to meet all our customers’ demands. This gives us the flexibility to provide a fast, efficient and professional service to our customers. We also do tank replacements, coal and boiler servicing.
For more information or to place an order, call (01837) 55700.
Released October 25, 2012